Lancet Special Series
City planning and population health: A global challenge
Significant global health challenges are being confronted in the 21st century, prompting calls to rethink approaches to disease prevention. A key part of the solution is city planning that reduces non-communicable diseases and road trauma while also managing rapid urbanisation.
Land use, transport, and population health: estimating the health benefits of compact cities
Using a health impact assessment framework, we estimated the population health effects arising from alternative land-use and transport policy initiatives in six cities.
Use of science to guide city planning policy and practice
The primary recommendation of this paper is for cities to actively pursue compact and mixed-use urban designs that encourage a transport modal shift away from private motor vehicles towards walking, cycling, and public transport.
The MJA-Lancet Countdown on health and climate change
In partnership with The Lancet and the MJA, we present the inaugural Australian Countdown assessment of progress on climate change and health. Publication
Effects of feedback and incentive-based insurance on driving behaviours
Road injury is the leading cause of death for young people, with human error a contributing factor in many crash events. This research is the first experimental study to examine the extent to which direct feedback and incentive-based insurance modifies a driver's behaviour.
Pedestrian Crossing Environments in an Emerging Chinese City
While pedestrian crossings play a vital role in providing seamless mobility for pedestrians, they have also continually been spaces of negotiation, contestation, and conflicts between and among different users. This research aims to assess the pedestrian crossing from an operational perspective in one emerging Chinese city, Suzhou.
Identifying safe intersection design through unsupervised feature extraction from satellite imagery
The World Health Organization has listed the design of safer intersections as a key intervention to reduce global road trauma. This article presents the first study to systematically analyze the design of all intersections in a large country, based on aerial imagery and deep learning.
- Beggs, P. J., Zhang, Y., McGushin, A., Trueck, S., Linnenluecke, M. K., Bambrick, H., Berry, H. L., Jay, O., Rychetnik, L., Hanigan, I. C., Morgan, G. G., Guo, Y., Malik, A., Stevenson, M., Green, D., Johnston, F. H., McMichael, C., Hamilton, I., & Capon, A. G. (2021). The 2021 report of the MJA-Lancet Countdown on health and climate change: Australia increasingly out on a limb. The Medical journal of Australia, 10.5694/mja2.51302. Advance online publication.
- Ho TP, Stevenson M, Thompson J, Nguyen TQ. Evaluation of Urban Design Qualities across Five Urban Typologies in Hanoi. Urban Science. 2021; 5(4):76.
- Blakely T, Thompson J, Bablani L, Andersen P, Ait Ouakrim D, Carvalho N, Abraham P, Boujaoude M-A, Katar A, Akpan E, Wilson N, Stevenson M. Association of Simulated COVID-19 Policy Responses for Social Restrictions and Lockdowns With Health-Adjusted Life-Years and Costs in Victoria, Australia. JAMA Health Forum. 2021;2(7):e211749.
- Waidyatillake N, Campbell T, Vicendese D, Dharmage S, Curto A, Stevenson M. Particulate Matter and Premature Mortality: A Bayesian Meta-analysis. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 202, 18, 7655: 1-21.
- Feng YR, Meuleners L, Stevenson M, Heyworth J, Murray K, Fraser M, Maher S. The impact of cognition and gender on speeding behaviour in older drivers with and without suspected mild cognitive impairment. Clinical Interventions in Ageing, 2021; 16: 1473–1483.
- Stevenson M, Mortimer D, Wijnands J, Harris A. The effect of telematic based feedback and financial incentives on driving behaviour: A randomised trial. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2021,159, 106278.
- Rachele J, Bentley R, Stevenson M, Zhao H, Wang J, Wijnands J. Using machine learning to examine associations between the built environment and physical function: A feasibility study, Health and Place, 2021,70,102601
- Stevenson M, Thompson J, Godic B, Ho T. City Design and the Transmission of COVID-19. In Rajabifard A, Paez D, Foliente G (Eds.), COVID-19 Pandemic, Geospatial Information, and Community Resilience Global Applications and Lessons, (pp. 137-144). CRC Press. 2021.
- Cheung P, Livesley P, Nice K. Estimating the cooling potential of irrigating green spaces in 100 global cities with arid, temperate or continental climates. Sustainable Cities and Society, 2021, 71, 102974.
- Blakely T, Thompson J, Bablani L, Andersen P, Ait Ouakrim D, Carvalho N, Abraham P, Boujaoude M-A, Katar A, Akpan E, Wilson N, Stevenson M. Assessment of a range of simulated COVID-19 policy responses for social restrictions and lockdowns associated with health-adjusted life years and costs in Victoria, Australia. Journal American Medical Association - Health Forum. (accepted June 2, 2021)
- Perkins D, Dietze P, O'Brien P, McGregor I, Sarris J, Stevenson M, Gleeson P, Quilter J, Sinclair, McNamara L. Medicinal cannabis and driving: the intersection of health and road safety policy. International Journal of Drug Policy, 2021 (accepted May 17)
- Mortimer D, Wijnands J, Harris A, Stevenson M. Persistence or reversal? The micro-effects of time-varying financial penalties. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 2021, 188: 72-86.
- Bhowmick D, Winter S, Stevenson M, Vortisch P. Exploring the viability of walk-sharing in outdoor urban spaces. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 2021, 88, 101635
- Nice, K. (2021). Managing urban heat in water sensitive cities: research and policy responses. Melbourne, Australia: Cooperative Research Centre for Water Sensitive Cities. Report 2021.
- Bhowmick D, Winter S, Stevenson M, Vortisch P. The impact of urban road network morphology on pedestrian wayfinding behaviour. Journal of Spatial Information Science. 2020 (accepted August 31)
- Meuleners L, Fraser M, Stevenson M, Oxley J, Johnson M, Rose J. Characteristics of the road infrastructure and injurious bicycle crashes that result in a hospitalisation. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2020, 136, 105407
- Blakely T, Thompson J, Carvalho N, Bablani L, Wilson N, Stevenson M. Maximizing the probability that the 6-week lock-down in Victoria delivers a COVID-19 free Australia. Medical Journal of Australia (Published online: 17 July 2020)
- Wijnands J, Zhao H, Nice K, Thompson J, Scully K, Guo J, Stevenson M. Identifying safe intersection design through unsupervised feature extraction from satellite imagery. Comput Aided Civ Inf. 2020;1–16.
- Stevenson M, Bhalla K. Global road safety: a well-travelled road? International Journal of Injury Control and Safety Promotion, 2020,27(1): 1-2
- Stevenson M, Thompson J, Wijnands J, Nice K, Aschwanden G, Zhao H. Opportunities to reduce road traffic injury: new insights from the study of urban areas. International Journal of Injury Control and Safety Promotion, 2020, 27(1): 20-26.
- Thompson J, Stevenson M, Wijnands J, Nice K, Aschwanden G, Silver J, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Rayner P, Schofield R, Hariharan R, Morrison C. A global analysis of urban design types and road transport injury: an image processing study. The Lancet Planetary Health, 2020, 4(1): e32-e42.
- Feng YR, Meuleners L, Stevenson M, Heyworth J, Murray K, Maher S. Driver Self-Regulation Practices in Older Drivers with and without Mild Cognitive Impairment. Clinical Interventions in Aging, 2020, 15:217-224.
- Nice K, Wijnands J, Middel A, Wamg J, Qiu Y, Zhao N, Thompson J, Aschwanden G, Zhao H, Stevenson M. Sky pixel detection in outdoor imagery using an adaptive algorithm and machine learning, Urban Climate, 2020, 31,100572.
- Runing Ye, Jonas DeVos, Liang Ma. ‘Analysing the association of dissonance between actual and ideal commute time and commute satisfaction.’ Transport Research Part A: Policy and Practice 132, 2020, pp. 47-62.
- Zhu, Y., Nice, K., Eadie, M. Knutsford Urban Heat Modelling Report. Melbourne, Australia: Water Sensitive Cities Institute. 2020
- Renouf, M. A., Kenway, S. J., Bertram, N., London, G., Sainsbury, O., Todorovic, T., Nice, K.A., Surendran, S., and Moravej, M. Salisbury case study final report: water sensitive outcomes for infill development. Melbourne, Cooperative Research Centre for Water Sensitive Cities, Report 2020.
- Renouf, M. A., Kenway, S. J., Bertram, N., London, G., Todorovic, T., Sainsbury, O., Nice, K. A., Moravej, M., Pype, M.-L., Sochacka, B. & Surendran, M. Infill Performance Evaluation Framework. Melbourne:
Cooperative Research Centre for Water Sensitive Cities, Report 2020.
- Stevenson M. Fewer cars, healthier cities. British Medical Journal, 2019, 367
- Aschwanden G, Wijnands J, Thompson J, Nice K, Zhao H, Stevenson M. Learning to walk: Modeling transportation mode choice distribution through neural networks. Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science, 2019, pp. 1–14. doi: 10.1177/2399808319862571.
- Zhao H, Wijnands J, Nice K, Thompson J, Stevenson M. Reducing Cyclist Crashes by Assessing the Road Environment: An Application of Google Imagery and Machine Learning. Journal of Transport & Health, 2019, 14, 100698.
- Beggs P, Stevenson M, et al. The 2019 report of the MJA-Lancet Countdown on health and climate change: a turbulent year with mixed progress. The Medical Journal of Australia, 2019, 211 (11):490- 491 e2 - e49.
- Wijnands J, Thompson J, Nice K, Aschwanden G, Stevenson M. Real-time monitoring of driver drowsiness on mobile platforms using 3-D neural networks. Neural Computing and Applications, 2019.
- Mueller N, Rojas-Rueda D, Khreis H, Cirach M, Andres D, Ballester J, Bartoll X, Daher C, Deluca A, Echave C, Mila C, Marquez S, Palou J, Perez K, Tonne C, Stevenson M, Rueda S, Nieuwenhuijsen Ml. Changing the urban design of cities for health: the superblock model. Environment International, 2019, 134, 105132.
- Meuleners L, Fraser M, Stevenson M, Oxley J, Rose G, Johnson M. Safer cycling and the urban road environment: A case control study. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2019, 129, 342-349.
- Wijnands J, Nice K, Zhao H, Thompson J, Stevenson M. Streetscape augmentation using generative adversarial networks: Insights related to health and wellbeing. Sustainable Cities and Society, 2019, 49, 101602.
- Beck B, Stevenson MR, Cameron P, et al. Crash characteristics of on-road single-bicycle crashes: an under-recognised problem. Injury Prevention, 2019.
- Broadbent, A. M., Coutts, A. M., Nice, K. A., Demuzere, M., Krayenhoff, E. S., Tapper, N. J., and Wouters, H.: The Air-temperature Response to Green/blue-infrastructure Evaluation Tool (TARGET v1.0): an efficient and user-friendly model of city cooling, Geosci. Model Dev., 12, 785-803.
- Dovey, K. & Pafka, E. What is walkability? The urban DMA, Urban Studies, 2019.
- Majic, I. & Pafka, E. AwaP-IC - An Open-Source GIS Tool for Measuring Walkable Access. Urban Science, 2019, 3(2): 1-14.
- Wang F, Chen Y, Guo J, Yu R, Stevenson M, Zhao H. Middle-aged Drivers' subjective categorization for combined alignments on mountainous freeways and their speed choices. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2019, 127:80-86.
- Thompson J, Scully K, Wijnands J, Stevenson M, Mavoa S. Evidence for the ‘safety in density’ effect for cyclists: validation of agent-based modelling results. Injury Prevention, 2019, 25:379-385.
- Fan, P., Guo, J., Zhao, H., Wijnands, J., and Wang, Y. . ‘Car-following modeling incorporating driving memory based on autoencoder and Long Short-Term Memory neural networks’, Sustainability, 2019, 11.6755.
- Curtis, C, Stone, J., Legacy, C. & Ashmore, D. 'Governance of Future Urban Mobility: A Research Agenda', Urban Policy and Research, 2019,pp. 1—12.
- Legacy, C. & Stone, J. 'Consensus planning in transport: The case of Vancouver's transportation plebiscite', Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 2019, 120, pp. 295—305.
- Legacy, C., Ashmore, D., Scheurer, J., Stone, J and Curtis, C . 'Planning the driverless city',Transport Reviews, 2019, pp. 1—19.
- Stone, J., Legacy, C. and Curtis, C. ‘The Future Driverless City?’, Planning Theory and Practice, 2019, 18:5, 753-778.
- Runing Ye, Helena Titheridge. ‘The determinants of commuting satisfaction in low-income population: A case study of Xi'an, China.’ Travel Behaviour and Society 16, 2019, pp. 272-283.
- Liang Ma, Runing Ye. ‘Does daily commuting behaviour matter to employee productivity?’ Journal of Transport Geography , 2019, 76, pp.130 – 141.
- Stanley, J. & Stanley, J. Balbontin, C. & Hensher, D . ‘Social exclusion: The role of mobility and bridging social capital in regional Australia’, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 2019, 125, 223-233.
- Coenen, L., Davidson, K., & Gleeson, B.. Situating C40 in the Evolution of Networked Urban Climate Governance. GLOBAL POLICY, 2019, 10(4), 723-725.
- Davidson, K., Coenen, L., Acuto, M., & Gleeson, B. Reconfiguring urban governance in an age of rising city networks: A research agenda. Urban Studies, 2019, 56(16), 3540-3555.
- Tapper, N., Lloyd, S., McArthur, J., Nice, K., and Jacobs, S. Estimating the economic benefits of Urban Heat Island mitigation – Biophysical Aspects. CRCWSC Milestone Report. Melbourne, Australia: Cooperative Research Centre for Water Sensitive Cities, 2019.
- Davidson, K., Coenen, L., & Gleeson, B. A Decade of C40: Research Insights and Agendas for City Networks. GLOBAL POLICY, 2019, 10(4), 697-708
- Ashmore, D. P., Stone, J., & Kirk, Y. (2018). The need for greater transparency when assessing the performance and prospects of Melbourne’s rail franchise contracts. Urban Policy and Research, 1-15.
- Davern, M., Gunn, L., Whitzman, C., Higgs, C., Giles-Corti, B., Simons, K., . . . Badland, H. (2018). Using spatial measures to test a conceptual model of social infrastructure that supports health and wellbeing. Cities & Health, 1(2), 194-209.
- Hulme, A., Thompson, J., Nielsen, R. O., Read, G. J. M., & Salmon, P. M. (2018). Towards a complex systems approach in sports injury research: simulating running-related injury development with agent-based modelling. British Journal of Sports Medicine, published online 18 June 2018.
- Kim, H. M., & Mateo-Babiano, I. (2018). Pedestrian crossing environments in an emerging Chinese city: Vehicle encountering, seamless walking, and sensory perception perspectives. Sustainability, 10(7), 1-17.
- Lawrence, B. M., Oxley, J. A., Logan, D. B., & Stevenson, M. R. (2018). Cyclist exposure to the risk of car door collisions in mixed function activity centers: A study in Melbourne, Australia. Traffic Injury Prevention, 19, S164-S168.
- Legacy, C., Ashmore, D., Scheurer, J., Stone, J., & Curtis, C. (2018). Planning the driverless city. Transport Reviews, published online 20 Apr 2018.
- Lowe, M., Whitzman, C., & Giles-Corti, B. (2018). Health-Promoting Spatial Planning: Approaches for Strengthening Urban Policy Integration. Planning Theory & Practice, 19(2), 180-197.
- Mortimer, D., Wijnands, J. S., Harris, A., Tapp, A., & Stevenson, M. (2018). The effect of ‘smart’ financial incentives on driving behaviour of novice drivers. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 119, 68-79.
- Nice, K. A., Coutts, A. M., & Tapper, N. J. (2018). Development of the VTUF-3D v1.0 urban micro-climate model to support assessment of urban vegetation influences on human thermal comfort. Urban Climate, published online 12 Jan 2018.
- Stevenson, M., Harris, A., Mortimer, D., Wijnands, J. S., Tapp, A., Peppard, F., & Buckis, S. (2018). The effects of feedback and incentive-based insurance on driving behaviours: study approach and protocols. Injury Prevention, 24(1), 89-93.
- Stevenson, M., & Gleeson, B. (2018). Complex Urban Systems: Compact Cities, Transport and Health. In M. Nieuwenhuijsen & H. Khreis (Eds.), Integrating Human Health into Urban and Transport Planning: A Framework (pp. 271-285). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
- Stone, J., Ashmore, D., Scheurer, J., Legacy, C., & Curtis, C. (2018). Planning for Disruptive Transport Technologies: How Prepared Are Australian Transport Agencies? In G. Marsden & L. Reardon (Eds.), Governance of the Smart Mobility Transition (pp. 123-137): Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Thompson, J. H., Wijnands, J. S., Mavoa, S., Scully, K., & Stevenson, M. R. (2018). Evidence for the ‘safety in density’ effect for cyclists: validation of agent-based modelling results. Injury Prevention, Published online 12 October 2018.
- Wijnands, J. S., Thompson, J., Aschwanden, G., & Stevenson, M. (2018). Identifying behavioural change among drivers using Long Short-Term Memory recurrent neural networks. Transportation Research Part F-Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 53, 34-49.
- Beck, B., Ekegren, C. L., Cameron, P., Edwards, E. R., Bucknill, A., Judson, R., Page, R., Hau, R., Stevenson, M., & Gabbe, B. J. (2017). Predictors of recovery in cyclists hospitalised for orthopaedic trauma following an on-road crash. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 106, 341-347.
- Legacy, C. (2017). The post‐politics of transport: establishing a new meeting ground for transport politics. Geographical Research, 56(2), 196-205.
- Newnam, S., Warmerdam, A., Sheppard, D., Griffin, M., & Stevenson, M. (2017). Do management practices support or constrain safe driving behaviour? A multi-level investigation in a sample of occupational drivers. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 102, 101-109.
- Pafka, E (2017) 'Integration is not walkability' Space Syntax Symposium, Lisbon 3-7 July.
- Pafka, E & Dovey, K (2017) ‘Permeability and interface catchment: measuring and mapping walkable access', Journal of Urbanism, 10(2): 150-162.
- Thompson, J., Wijnands, J. S., Savino, G., Lawrence, B., & Stevenson, M. (2017). Estimating the safety benefit of separated cycling infrastructure adjusted for behavioral adaptation among drivers; an application of agent-based modelling. Transportation Research Part F-Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 49, 18-28.
- Warmerdam, A., Newnam, S., Sheppard, D., Griffin, M., & Stevenson, M. (2017). Workplace road safety risk management: An investigation into Australian practices. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 98, 64-73.
- Warmerdam, A., Newnam, S., Sheppard, D., Griffin, M., & Stevenson, M. (2017). A new approach to managing work-related road traffic injury: The development of a health investment framework. Traffic Injury Prevention, 18(6), 631-635.
- Giles-Corti, B., Vernez-Moudon, A., Reis, R., Turrell, G., Dannenberg, A. L., Badland, H., . . . Owen, N. (2016). City planning and population health: a global challenge. The Lancet, 388(10062), 2912-2924.
- Mateo-Babiano, I., Bean, R., Corcoran, J., & Pojani, D. (2016). How does our natural and built environment affect the use of bicycle sharing? Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 94, 295-307.
- Thompson, J., Savino, G., & Stevenson, M. (2016). A model of behavioural adaptation as a contributor to the safety-in-numbers effect for cyclists. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 85, 65-75.
- Sallis, J. F., Bull, F., Burdett, R., Frank, L. D., Griffiths, P., Giles-Corti, B., & Stevenson, M. (2016). Use of science to guide city planning policy and practice: how to achieve healthy and sustainable future cities. The Lancet, 388(10062), 2936-2947.
- Stevenson, M., Thompson, J., de Sá, T. H., Ewing, R., Mohan, D., McClure, R., . . . Woodcock, J. (2016). Land use, transport, and population health: estimating the health benefits of compact cities. The Lancet, 388(10062), 2925-2935.