Call for Applications: Integrating Health into Urban Planning
The Asian Pacific Network for Global Change Research (APN) has opened applications for a May 2019 Workshop on 'Integrating health into urban planning towards sustainable development goals in developing countries', to be hosted in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The deadline for applications closes on 15th December 2018.
This is a capacity building project that aims to raise the awareness and knowledge of researchers, policy makers and civil society on the integration of public health into urban planning towards Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This project intends to foster collaboration between the developed and developing countries in the Asia Pacific region, and addresses the cross-cutting targets of the SDGs.
Urban planning and transportation have been identified as major components of the intervention to non-communicable diseases in the era of rapid urbanization. Urban design such as density, transport infrastructures, and open spaces strongly influences human behaviors and activities, which subsequently bring cascading effects on the local environment, population health and well-being through air quality, traffic exposure, heat, noise, and opportunity for physical activity and social interaction. At the global level, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is prioritizing the urban built environment in mitigating carbon emissions.
Who can apply?
We are looking for highly motivated early-career scientists, professionals and practitioners from the academic, government, and non-governmental organizations. Interested applicants should be:
- 45 years old or younger
- from developing countries in the APN’s member or approved country list
- currently be affiliated to an academic, local or national government or non-governmental institution
- working in areas related to the main theme of the workshop
- have the time and ability to share and apply knowledge gained from the workshop at the national/local level
- have a good working knowledge of the English language
- be able to take part in ALL sessions of the workshop
Cost and Financing:
The project is funded by the Asian Pacific Network for Global Change Research under the Capacity Development Program (CAPaBLE). We will provide support for the cost of a round trip economy airfare to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and accommodation for the period of the workshop for all selected participants. Participants will need to book their own flight tickets, and will be reimbursed after full participation in the workshop. Participants are responsible for their own visa application, if required.
How to Apply:
Complete and submit the application form with
- your resume/CV (maximum 5 pages).
- description of your motivation to participate, including (limited to 100 words for each statement):
- a summary of your area of expertise and how this relates to the workshop.
- your motivation to attend the workshop and how the workshop matches your professional development needs.
- the expected impact of your participation into the workshop on your personal and professional development.
- how you will disseminate the outcomes of the workshops and the new knowledge/skills you have acquired.
To complete the application, or for more information, follow the link below.